Saturday, July 14, 2012

Wearable Art for a Juried Show

A couple of months ago I decided to enter a juried show at Jacoby Arts Center in Alton, IL.  Look this place up - IT'S GREAT!
Since my skill is in clothing construction I decided to do some wool felting and in some fashion, manipulate it into coat.  A coat makes a pretty good backdrop for surface designing and I love art to wear.
I started by felting or fulling 100% wool tweed.  When that was prepared I cut the 2 shades into 1/2" strips then pinned them to a board and wove the strips into a herringbone design.
For the back of the coat I cut the woven piece - a really BIG piece - on the bias.  The extra pieces were used for cuffs and an accent piece on the front.  I used lots of piping.  Gotta love piping!
I'll type more later...

No comments:

Post a Comment